75° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Forest Hills High School’s Boys Cross Country Team: The Legacy Continues

Forest Hills High School’s Boys Cross Country Team
Jordan Quinones

Running for a team that aspires to represent the drive, professionalism and strong qualities of its school is what one would call “a real team.” The boys’ “We, not me!” testament runs, literally, throughout the Forest Hills High School Boys Cross Country team, becoming their everyday mantra. These simple words of empowerment encourage cross country runners to work as a team, perfect their craft, and progress towards every goal with a chip on their shoulder. 

The Beacon caught up with the team for their run in Van Cortlandt Park, where we discussed further with Coach Lopez the importance of the mantra: “We, not me!” The overall response is that this chant pays homage to all of those who put in hard work to this program daily. 

“22 years of ‘We, not me!’ [relays] my message to the team that we work for something larger than ourselves. It’s about the team, the collective. It’s about the program and representing our school. All of that goes into ‘We, not me.’” 

Coach Lopez’s eyes lit up when describing the dedication and hard work his team has presented this season. “They understand what it means to work hard. The special thing about us is we apply what we learn in the classroom to the success on the track field.”

These words of affirmation expressed by the coach spoke into immediate action as the team came in first place. 

Junior Varsity Runner Kaleel Wright came in second place that day, but supported his varsity peers. “We persevered. We managed to do very well, and I think this team should feel proud with first and second place.”

So far this season, Hills has matched  with some of our serious rivals, such as Francis Lewis and Thomas Edison. And at times of adversity, Hills rose to the occasion. In the words of Coach Lopez: “the dynasty is here.” 

By winning four out of the last five meets including three championships in a row, Hills’ team demonstrates the qualities of not just winning, but establishing a winning culture with the impactful words of “We, not me.”