62° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

The Decline of New York Sports, Edition 2: The Mets, Yankees, NYCFC and NYRB

Jason Szenes/New York Post, John Jones/USA TODAY Sports, The Official Site of the New York City Football Club, Dante Vanzeir/New York Red Bulls

This article marks the second part of a two-part series, following the exploration of basketball and American football challenges in the first installment. Shifting focus to baseball and soccer, this continuation unravels the discontent among fans of the Mets, Yankees, New York City Football Club and New York Red Bulls, emphasizing the close relationship between passionate fandom and team performance. 

Mets and Yankees: Fan Discontent and the Yearning for Change

According to an anonymous Forest Hills High School student, representing the passionate and demanding fanbase, the downfall of the Mets and Yankees is closely tied to the immense pressure experienced in a city like New York. The student emphasizes, “I think a key factor that has contributed to the downfall of the Mets/Yankees in recent seasons has to do with the fans. Playing in such a big city like New York with fans that are crazy over their sports, it’s hard to perform well because when you’re underperforming, the fans are going to boo you and be in constant disappointment rather than trying to cheer on their team.”

This sentiment points to a deeper issue—while both the Mets and Yankees boast playoff-caliber rosters, they consistently fall short of making a significant impact on the teams results. The student passionately conveys the frustration and disappointment experienced by fans following upsetting results despite the talented and fully capable players, as brutal comments and threats are often directed towards underperforming players. In the words of the student, “It truly shows how passionate NY is about their sports and how much they want a change in New York to change our reputation from a big harsh losing sports city to a winning sports city where all big athletes want to come here and win.”

NYCFC and NYRB: Struggles and Lackluster Performances

Jackson Elkins, a fellow Forest Hills student and avid sports fan, offered insights into the challenges faced by NYCFC and NYRB, and provided a nuanced analysis. He notes, “The Red Bulls struggled due to their inability to adapt to the new era of MLS transfers and a lack of ambition in making impactful signings.”

This reveals a fundamental issue in the team’s strategic approach, as the focus shifts from championship aspirations to simply filling up spots on a roster for the sole purpose of having players.

In contrast, NYCFC faced challenges after a significant roster overhaul, leaving them grappling to find their footing. Elkins highlights, “Losing key players without proper replacements left them struggling to find their footing. Coach Nick Cushing had to navigate an incomplete roster, impacting the team’s midfield balance and ability to build out of the back.”

The lack of effort being put into proper planning contributed to NYCFC’s recent decline in performance, further emphasizing the importance of strategic player management and a competent front office.

New York Sports Fans and the Shared Path to Redemption

It is apparent that the challenges faced by the Mets, Yankees, NYCFC, NYRB, Knicks, Nets, and Giants share common threads beyond the specific details discussed in each article.

The passionate and demanding behavior of New York sports fans is a shared bond. Whether it’s the sadness and frustration shown by football and baseball fans, or the resilience demonstrated by basketball and soccer fans, a genuine devotion to their teams can be seen regardless of the sport.

The challenges faced by these teams show a mix of problems, ranging from mismanagement and player dissatisfaction to offensive issues and injury setbacks. But even through tough times, New York sports fans stay loyal. The atmosphere remains lively in their home stadiums, even when things are hard, and it reflects the city’s expectation of top-notch performance from its athletes.

Looking towards the future in New York sports, these teams have a chance to make a comeback with the strong commitment of players and fans. The city’s resilience, supporting the teams through each victory or defeat, is the ongoing story of New York sports.