62° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

The Race to Compete with Boys and Girls Indoor Track

https://insideschools.org/school/28Q440
Forest Hills High School’s Track and Field /Photo by Gail Robinson

The boys and girls indoor track season has begun underway here at Hills. While the season carries on its merry way (no Christmas pun intended), The Beacon decided to catch up with some of the runners that represent Hills and gauge their interest with a few questions.

Runners here at Hills consistently put their all into preparing for a healthy successful season all year round. Regardless of the number of championships brought back in representation of Hills from events, many begin to ponder around the question: Is there a gap in interest or work ethic when it comes to boys vs. girls track?

The Boys Track Team:

One of the newest members of Forest Hills High School’s Indoor Track Team, Jayden Pooran shared his thoughts on the level of interest gauged between boys and girls track.“I joined yesterday and I don’t think there is a gap. When I went to practice, there were enough boys and girls with great work ethics.” 

Pooran, a senior of the class of 2024 also reiterated, “I feel welcomed and supported throughout this whole process.” 

Barron Sefa, a senior who has been on Hills’ track team since his sophomore year spoke with The Beacon about his feelings of competition between boys and girls track.“I personally do believe there is a gap between the level of interest within boys and girls track teams, but that is solely influenced on each individual’s personal interests.”

Sefa also added, “I honestly believe this question is more preference based, though personally the only really hard aspect of indoor season is running in the cold and running within the school when the weather is really cold.” 

He has participated in many races with Forest Hills High School and has also contributed to bringing home the gold at a cross country run.

The gap between boys and girls track agenda begins with others personal opinions, however no narrative can knock off either team’s work ethic. 

“Both seasons will require you to put rigorous amounts of effort in general and especially to pursue whatever goal you as a track athlete have set for yourself,” Sefa expressed to The Beacon.

The work ethic remains the same along with the same level of expectations amongst both teams. Both teams ensure all runners are giving 110% of their effort towards shaving their craft into perfection.

The Girls Track Team:

The Forest Hills High School Girls’ Track Team has a long history of success. These athletes have demonstrated their various abilities and skills along with their dedication to the sport by showing up to practices, taking advice from their coach along with their teammates, and competing. 

New teammate Fiorentina Amarre spoke with The Beacon. “Being in track feels exhausting at first especially if you aren’t used to running every day but with time it gets better. I also joined track because I love running, it makes me feel healthier and it clears my head. Being a part of a team also makes me feel at home.”

Participating in a high school sports team is about more than just athletic abilities. It’s about developing character and leadership skills. The Forest Hills High School Girls’ Track Team focuses on developing not only excellent athletes but also responsible and compassionate people.

As expressed by one of the captains in our girl’s track team, Emily Stevanus says, “Everyone on this team we are all friends, even if you just joined. Even after I graduate I am confident that the team will stay the way it is and will continue to work together to reach greater achievements. Even since I have joined, our legacy has still continued. We recently got a new coach, Ms. Grant, and even when getting used to a new coach our team took time to get adjusted to a new coach but we still stayed the same way it is and we got to bond.” 

Girls’ track is frequently overshadowed by boys’ track in terms of attention and recognition, despite female athletes’ unquestionable ability and accomplishments. Although it is unfair, our girl’s track team has been working hard to make their accomplishments known. 

Our Co-captain Isabella Valencia emphasizes, “Girl track teams are definitely underlooked compared to the boys track teams but over time I do feel like it has gotten better. People used to think sports wouldn’t be a girls thing but over time it has gotten a lot easier to have the freedom to participate in our favorite sport and somewhat be recognized as much as the boys track teams.” 

We all have learned that the Forest Hills High School Girls’ Track Team is more than just a team of athletes. They are role models of effort, sportsmanship, and what a team should look like.