57° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Looking for Multicultural Magic

Getty Images

Some beloved traditions tend to be forgotten in the chaos of high school life. Students from many years ago that were a part of the Forest Hills High School community may recall warm and happy memories of the multicultural event that used to happen in previous years, an extravagant showcase of the great range of cultures within our school. Do current students know that this event ever took place? It has been a while since this event took place in our auditorium and gymnasium.

Students and teachers now make a solid argument for the showcase and event to come back, and we look forward to hopefully bringing the excitement of cultural displays, a wide variety of food choices, and mesmerizing dance performances back. Hills is one of the most diverse schools in the entire city. This event wasn’t just about entertainment, it was also about the fact that students had the chance to express their cultural backgrounds, customs, and traditions. It became a reminder that unity can come from recognizing and appreciating our diversity.

Shananda Roy, a student of the law academy states, “We should bring this event back. I would love to dance and see diversity through the spirit of Forest Hills. Noticing everyone’s differences can make us realize how beautiful and unique everyone is.”

As well, student Anahi Tapia mentions, “Trying different types of foods from different cultures and places is important for a person too. It makes us get out of our comfort zone and try new things which can be a good and positive thing for someone.”

The event took place in the auditorium with a focus on cultural dances in addition to the other cultural displays in the gym. Students could demonstrate their skills, passions, and creativity on stage. Bringing back this part of the event provides students with an opportunity to present their creative talents to the students, staff, and family members. This also develops artistic growth and boosts self-confidence.

Mr. Tejiram, one of our French teachers here at Hills shared the following with The Beacon:

“It’s really important to appreciate our and another person’s identity. Showing off our cultural food, practices, and dances are all a part of someone’s identity. You shouldn’t be afraid to show that off and the show and dances should be free to see and not have to pay for that so everyone would have a chance and appreciate their and other people’s cultures. We should endorse Culture Day on the loudspeaker so people can wear traditional clothing on that day and represent their country so people can feel more at ease.”

The multicultural event represented our commitment to peace in diversity and went beyond a simple school event. As human beings, we should remind ourselves of our commitment to celebrating diversity, encouraging acceptance, and developing understanding between cultures by bringing it back. It’s an opportunity to honor the wide variety of cultures that make our school special.

So let’s get together once more to dance, enjoy plenty of food, and share our stories. By working together, we may rekindle the multicultural event as a symbol of diversity and unity rather than just as an event. Come along with us as we strive to revive this treasured tradition and build connections between students inside our school.