74° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

The Underrated Girls Varsity Handball Team

The FHHS Girl’s Varsity Handball Team kicked off their season with an impressive victory over Maspeth High School. The team dominated in both singles and doubles, securing a score of 21-4 and 21-8, respectively. The games were intense and exciting, showcasing the team’s skill and determination.

The team’s success is a result of their strong bond and relentless work ethic. Last season, they had an undefeated record, reaching the playoffs with ease. Their goals this season are to further improve their skills and gain a stronger connection as a team. The team’s coach, Ms. Huang, has been coaching the team for 2 years now. She believes that the team has grown even stronger since last season and that their performance has improved significantly. The players’ passion and enjoyment were evident in their eyes as they fought their way to victory. Ms. Huang describes the team as an energetic group. 

“This team is made up of 7 unique individuals, but together they make up something even bigger than themselves.”

During practice, the players have been working on improving their hand-eye coordination and training new team members to familiarize them with the gameplay. New players Tahiyat Raisa and Joselyn Rodriguez have been putting in the work, practicing both double and single games. In handball, the ball needs to pass the short line on the court when serving, but it cannot go beyond the long line. The player can hit the ball without bouncing or allowing it to bounce once. If the ball bounces once and is not hit, their turn is over. The team finds satisfaction in the sound of the ball bouncing off the walls and often loses themselves in the practice. There is an air of concentration and seriousness during practice, but there are also lighthearted moments. 

Coach Huang jokes, “We have a saying, ‘you smack it, you track it.’ Above the handball courts are fences; oftentimes when the ball goes through the fence, the girls would have to run up the stairs to retrieve it. This is the bane of their practices.” 

The team is eager to encourage experienced and interested students to join and experience the joy of handball for the next season. Captain Alison Mejia urges other students to try out, saying, “Handball is a real sport for girls. Don’t be afraid to try out!”