57° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Spirit Week… Minus the Spirit

Our semiannual Forest Hills High School Spring Spirit Week was held the week of March 13, 2023. Seeing the absence of spirit in our school was disappointing to say the least. The lack of participation in spirit week from students did not reflect enthusiasm in our community here at Hills. Throughout the nation, spirit week in schools has been a way for students to show off their creativity and celebrate school pride, but in recent years, at Hills in particular, students have shown minimal enthusiasm. Students were given several themes and ideas throughout the week to show their spirit, a few including “Album Cover Day,” “Jersey Day,” and “Perfect Pair Day.” Our student government made announcements over the speakers and advertised the themes weeks in advance, but still the turnout was discouraging.

When speaking with The Beacon, several students expressed that the themes could have been more inclusive, allowing students to showcase their imaginations further. Some showed despondency because of the lack of creativity in the themes, while others only responded to the more effortless days such as “Jersey Day” or “Wear Green Day.” 

“Spirit week is something that’s supposed to show unity in the school and make it a fun time in our lives instead of being something monotonous. When no one participates, it makes school dull,” an anonymous junior told The Beacon. We caught up with students in the cafeteria and found that while many students do take part in spirit week festivities, many also believe there should be more of an incentive. According to a survey of our peers, many expressed that rewarding small prizes for the “best dressed” or “most creative” could certainly initiate higher participation.

In various schools, spirit week is accompanied by homecoming, which unfortunately we miss out on at Hills. Our school is different from what we see in typical high school movies; we don’t have a wild pep rally with cheerleaders or a booming football game flooded with roaring students in the bleachers, preceded by a week’ s worth of spirit days that build up the intense homecoming energy. 

With the decreasing number of students deciding not to partake in spirit week, other students may be anxious about getting involved as well to avoid being an outcast amongst peers. An anonymous senior vocalized, “I think spirit week gets boring sometimes since it’s the same few themes repeating themselves. It kinda loses its significance for me. Plus it’s scary because I don’t want to be the only one who dresses up.” 

Increasing participation in spirit week flaunts our school pride, plus, let’s be honest, it’s fun. Who wouldn’t want to walk around dressed as Adam Sandler? Some spirit week suggestions mentioned by peers? “Anything But A Backpack Day” and “90s Throwback Day” were tossed into the equation. 

So let’s come together, Hills students, and throw on our best pair of basketball shorts for “Sandler Day,” our ugliest sweaters during the holiday season, twin-it-up with our besties, and break out our best blue and gold to proudly represent our school during spirit weeks.