79° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Spy x Family: A Review

Source: Polygon

After half a year of impatiently waiting, the show that brought old and new anime lovers together has finally returned for a second season. The first season left fans wanting more of its comedy and wholesome adventures starring the memorable cast of characters. Loid Forger, the spy tasked with keeping peace between the world who adapts Anya, a child who has to keep the secret of being a telepath. And Yor Forger marries Loid, not knowing she is an assassin working for the opposing side. And what better way to treat the fans this season than by having the opening song sung by the Japanese artist known as Ado. 

Released on October 5, 2023, “Kura Kura” made me immediately feel the vibe of Spy X Family. The beginning instrumentals give off a colorful vibe that is paired with the undertone of a jingle heard in a James Bond movie. Its message of duality and instability and how the world is split by different narratives and conflicts can be understood within the anime. For me, the most memorable part is the chorus, with the pre-chorus ramping up for the upbeat part. The duality in the beat of the song, with the lyrics making me curious as to what the translation of the title is. The word “Kura” in Japanese translates to dizzy, symbolizing contradictions between right and wrong, and the unrevealed truths. This is much like the characters, all hiding behind a mask, two characters on opposite sides, each thinking they are on the right path. It takes the overall premise of the anime and explores the narratives of each character without outright saying it. Ado’s cheerful tone perfectly matches with how the song is meant to sound, but making it sound so exhilarating and dramatic at the same time. If you don’t recognize Ado, you may have seen her cover some other songs.

Ado’s debut song, “Usseewa,” was released when she was only 17 years old in 2020. Her other well known cover songs include “Otome Dissection,” “Bocca Della Verita,” “Gira Gira,” and my personal favorite, “Odo.” She also has recently collaborated with girl group LE SSERAFIM for a remix of their most recent song “Unforgiven.” One Piece, a classic shonen anime, decided to feature Ado with an entire album titled, “Uta’s Songs: One Piece Film Red.” Ado’s low and high ranges give the songs she covers so much personality that would make a first time listener feel the passion sung into it. Whether it’s a song full of rage and aggression or calmness and tranquility, Ado’s performances truly shine through her emotions. 

I highly recommend “Kura Kura” as the song to have in your playlist, whether you are a fan of the anime or just want to hear a bubbly and catchy song. Both Ado and Spy X Family are special in my heart and fuels me with energy. So if you are looking for thrilling family adventures with action, comedy, and secret agents, tune in to the second season of Spy X Family now.