72° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

FHHS Club Fair: Unveiling Possibilities

On the afternoon of Oct. 24, the gymnasium buzzed with vibrant energy as students excitedly attended the annual club fair. With club stands scattered throughout the room, the event offered a diverse range of options, from STEM-related clubs to those dedicated to community service. This year’s edition featured an impressive array of new clubs, broadening horizons and providing students with more avenues to explore their interests.

One notable trend at this year’s club fair was the rise of digital-related clubs, such as the Digital Media Club and Video Game Design Club. The Digital Media Club, distinguished by a captivating bulky brown bear plush, stood out as a haven for students interested in graphic design and digital illustration. By using Adobe applications like Photoshop and Illustrator, the club aims to collaborate with various organizations at school like the Drama Academy in need of event advertisements. Similarly, the Video Game Design Club is gearing up to present engaging games for students to enjoy this school year, all while learning computer programming and creating interactive programs.

Thrift Unity was popular amongst the students, with its sign-up sheet filling up rapidly. This creative hub offers members the chance to thrift, dive into embroidery and crochet, and learn about sustainable fashion. Co-President Sophia Romanosky aspires to support shelters, engage in upcycling to help the environment and advocate for sustainable fashion.

The club fair also saw the resurgence of established clubs like the Girl Up and Mental Health Awareness. These clubs drew the attention of many students who were eager to inquire about their missions and upcoming fundraising events dedicated to supporting crucial causes.

The event witnessed a significant presence of underclassmen. Freshman Jennifer Guzman expressed, “I had no idea what I wanted to do. I thought it was important to see everything in person, to meet the members of the club to feel more comfortable.” The club fair indeed served as a great way for building new connections and fostering social interactions.

There was enthusiasm and readiness of students to become more deeply involved in the community. For those who might have missed the fair, the FHHS website is a valuable resource for gaining more information about the various clubs and their offerings.