75° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Let’s Talk About Robotics

As new inventions are being made daily, the idea of robotics becomes more prominent in our everyday lives. Firstly, if you’ve heard of robotics, you may think that it’s only a course offered in our school where students build robots; this is partially accurate.

Robotics is characterized as the branch of computer science and engineering that deals with the creation, maintenance, and use of robots. Robots are automated and can aid humans in various contexts, including manufacturing operations and operating in hazardous environments unfit for human life.

Everyone has a unique motivation for what they want to achieve by joining robotics, whether it be because they are skilled, passionate, or want to learn more. Joshua Sze, a junior and the robotics team’s programmer told The Beacon his views on robotics. “At first, the idea that I could build a fully functioning robot was really what drove me to robotics,” he professed. “I liked the concept of actually competing for something that I’ve learned over the years, and it eventually developed into joining the robotics team.”

Another student, Emmanuel Moreno, the engineer of the robotics team, intriguingly stated that he joined the team because he believed robots to be “sick” and desired to build a robot in the style of Dr. Frankenstein.

On January 15, Hills students competed and presented their work at Francis Lewis High school. Our team built a device known as the “Grim,” which had the purpose of circling the area and collecting cones to place on long poles. The FHHS team was qualified and also won both the “Design Award” and the “Control Award” nomination. The robotics team’s engineer and graphic designer, Pratyush Karki, claimed that they hope to win even more prestigious awards while educating the local communities about the importance of STEM.

The robotics team recently held tryouts to give new students who are seriously interested in engineering, designing, or programming a chance to join a team. The students had to take two tests on March 9, one on programming and the other on engineering. Students were required to have a strong GPA and perform exceptionally well on the tryout exam to be selected for the robotics team.

Aye Chan Mon, a sophomore student who was accepted to the team, says that the decision to join the group was motivated by a friend who is already a member. She also reveals that she was highly interested in coding and engineering and decided to give it a try. When asked about her acceptance to the team, she revealed that she couldn’t believe it. She had assumed she would never get in, but is now extremely delighted to be in the robotics course. As put by Aye Chan, “eventually hard work pays off.”

For students interested in trying robotics out for the following academic year, Emmanuel Moreno exclaims “it’s incredible, [because] you learn so much and you meet great people. I’d encourage anyone passionate about learning to join,  whether you have any prior experience or not.”

The Beacon wishes the new members of the team success and the very best of
luck as they work to uphold our school’s honor and pride while achieving their highest potential!