75° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

The Boys JV Basketball Team

On December 16, the FHHS Boys Junior Varsity Basketball Team had their first win against Queens High School of Teaching. This game was very important to them because they were not able to play their first official game. In the interview we had with Mr. Reifler, the co-coach of the Basketball team, he mentioned, “We were supposed to play our first game, against Francis Lewis, at Francis Lewis. The referees did not show up, so we were not able to play and we had to go home. Everyone was upset, but now we are back here playing with Queens High School of Teaching, the boys are hungry and we are aiming for victory.” With this passionate spirit, the basketball team was able to make Forest Hills proud. But this victory did not come without hard work. We interviewed Mr. Reifler, the JV coach, to gain a little insight into how he coached our team to victory. When we asked Mr. Reifler about his coaching style, he said he likes to lead by example. He draws inspiration from this famous Nelson Mandela quote: “Lead from the back — and let others believe they are in front.” Mr. Reifler explains that when people lead from the front it is obvious leadership role of doing and showing. However, when leading from the back, you inspire others to be leaders. His players are encouraged to be more proactive and supportive of one another by instilling this kind of positive mentality in them. He exhorts them to assist one another while also teaching and learning from one another. With a score of 77-28, the FHHS team defeated their opponents. The JV team’s two-star players, Andrew Simons and Bryon Sun, scored an incredible 25 points and 12 points, respectively. “It was groundbreaking, the game was intense, everyone was so delighted with the game, the vibe was just so fantastic,” one of the game’s spectators stated. The basketball team and the spectators at this game both exhibit a tremendous sense of Ranger pride. Keep an eye out for the next basketball game to avoid missing a thrilling match. Let’s Go Rangers!