77° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Bump, Set, Spike: Celebrating the Girls Varsity Volleyball Team

Isabel Steuerman
Girl’s Varsity Volleyball Team

Friday, October 13 was an unlucky day to be a “Lady Lion,” Richmond Hill High School’s misnomer of a mascot. The Forest Hills High School Girls Varsity Volleyball team defended their winning streak effortlessly. Almost every serve from our team could not be returned from the Lions, and in the few exceptions, the ball inevitably was shanked or hit out of bounds within seconds.

The atmosphere of the gym definitely played into our win. Friday was the last day of our school spirit week, where students were asked to wear pink in order to support awareness for breast cancer. The varsity girls were covered in pink face paint, with ribbons drawn on their arms and legs, and many had pink ribbons in their hair. One teammate passed around pink ribbon pins to the audience in the bleachers. The supporters on the stands were a sea of pink and red. The atmosphere was like a scene from a high school homecoming movie, something we don’t see often in NYC, and never at Hills. Coming from such a large high school, seeing so many students together cheering and yelling to support the team was something The Beacon will never forget.

Source: Isabel Steuerman

An idea of just how many people came to the game to support? Upon arriving to the game, The Beacon was stopped by security because the gym was filled to max capacity. The level of support for our Rangers was unbelievable.

The Beacon caught up with a few girls on the team after the game, and many were happy to share their experience.

Olivia, the team’s captain and outside hitter, said “Winning our first home game, especially during our pink out match, was an incredible experience. The entire team had been preparing for this moment for weeks, and we had an amazing student body turnout coming to support both us and this great cause. It took a lot of effort and teamwork, but the celebration that came afterwards? Unforgettable. I am so excited to see where this season takes us.”

Kayla Pizzitola, the middle blocker, shared her feelings as well. “I thought the game went really well. I had so many people show up to watch me play, and decorating the gym for breast cancer awareness was so fun! I also enjoyed bonding with my team and putting face paint on everyone, and winning of course.”

“As our first home game, I think the game went amazing! Lots of people came and watched us play. It was so much fun to do face paint, and to help set up the gym for the game,” Abigail, a setter, expressed to The Beacon. Although each team member worded their responses differently, the gist stays the same: they had a great time, and appreciated the student body turnout.

Incredible win for the Lady Rangers, with a score of 2-0. Currently, as of the end of October, the girls have a record of 8-1. You go, girls! The Beacon is excited to see their progression as the season continues, and looks forward to watching this team win and make great memories with friends.