59° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Are Kids’ Clothing Going Out of Style?

Why Young Girls Need Their Own Clothing Store
Justice clothing store
THE BAY CITY TIMES
Justice clothing store

I used to go to Justice all the time growing up. You know, the one with the bright pink logo that immediately got kids to beg their parents to go in.

Image from Pinterest

Opening in January 2004, the store was originally called Limited Too, which was popular in the 1990s and the early 2000s.

From what I remember, the store had everything in there from clothing to accessories. Of course, if you bought a piece of clothing, you had to get the other piece that matched with it to make a set. Immediately when stepping inside, you would be met with bursts of colors in every corner. Without a doubt, Justice built a huge chunk of my childhood.

Justice didn’t just have all pink or girly clothing, it had all types of clothing from formal to casual, to sporty or dainty. I especially adored all the shirts with silly graphics on them. Planning a party, Justice always had your back.

Joining a basketball team and needing sportswear, Justice was there for you. Basically, you could find attire for any occasion and it always carried its own charm and personality. And most importantly, the quality was exceptional.

However, despite many years of bringing young girls happiness, there was an obstacle that forced all Justice stores to shut down: COVID-19. Ascena Retail Group, owners of Justice, declared chapter-11 bankruptcy as a result. Now, Bluestar Alliance has owned the Justice brand since early 2021.

In an interview with Bluestar CEO Joseph Gabbay regarding the significance of the iconic clothing store, he said, “Justice is an important asset with years of growth ahead. An icon of tween culture, with its influence felt across fashion, lifestyle, pop culture and more, we see opportunity for global brand extensions and partnerships.”

Products from Justice are still exclusively in Walmart and online, but the clothing does not have the same passion and production that it once had at its peak.

With all the newest trends coming out, I noticed pretty quickly that fashion for the newer generation is different from when I was growing up. Yes, there’s Claire’s, a store that sells accessories, but it is still not the same. I notice that young girls now tend to wear clothing with less color and fun patterns on them.

What other store fully captures the same vision that Justice had? A store where tween girls could fully express themselves, where they could be silly and immature. Now, it seems the younger generations are growing up faster. Girls need these types of stores so they can enjoy being kids.