68° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Stella’s Top Picks from the 2023 Billboard Top 100

Artist: @hatchkinn
Boy’s A Liar pt.2

During 2023, many memorable songs made it to the Top 100 on Billboard, ranging from all genres.

Only 5 artists were able to make me repeat their songs over and over again. Here is my personal ranking starting from number 1: 

1. Boy’s a Liar pt. 2 by Ice Spice and PinkPantheress 

From the moment I heard this song, I knew this was a vibe. I had never heard of PinkPantheress or Ice Spice before this song, but this song made me check out their other songs and now I’m obsessed. I love the early 2000’s tone with PinkPantheress’ voice matching the overall vibe.

It’s on the shorter side when it comes to the length, at two minutes and twelve seconds, but it’s just enough to hook the listener and not drag it out. But what caught my attention was the meaning behind the lyrics.

In an interview with PinkPantheress, she talked about the inspiration behind the viral song, “Honestly, it’s not a specific story but it’s more of a testament to probably how a lot of people feel,” she shared.

Ice Spice was then asked by Billboard about her collaboration with PinkPantheress. “I followed Pink [Pantheress] and I posted ‘Boy’s a Liar’ on my story. And she swiped up and was like, ‘Do you want to get on it?’ I’ve been a fan of Pink since like she first came out so to work with her so crazy.”

Personally, I hope they collaborate again because they will make another banger song for sure.

1. Kill Bill by SZA

Kill Bill’s theme and beat are addictive and I can’t help but put it on the background when doing work. Kill Bill perfectly sums up the idea of obsessive love and the melody weirdly matches the disturbing lyrics. When talking with Variety, SZA talks about her reason for the cinematography of the song, “So I think I’m just into film and stand up and just watching sh*t. So I always try to inject some film and television into, it’s like my biggest inspiration ‘cause reading makes me tired.” This song definitely feels like it would play in a horror movie. 

1. Princess Diana by Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj

Jumping ahead to a different vibe, this song gave me everything I like about rap music. Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj vocals work together and balance each other out during the song. After Ice Spice, Nicki Minaj comes in at the right time in the middle of the song. In the same interview with Billboard, PinkPantheress talks about wanting to collaborate with Nicki Minaj for this song, “Like besides meeting her of course, because, you know, she’s legendary herself.”

1. Golden Hour by JVKE

To be honest, when I heard Golden Hour for the first time I didn’t think it was very groundbreaking or interesting. It took me a couple of listens to truly enjoy it and understand why I grew to love this song. The rhythm is very romantic and has a warm feeling to it. In an interview with Genius, JVKE describes what the lyrics mean to his audience, “There is something so attractive about confidence and that’s kind of why I wrote this song is cause I want people to feel confident. I want them to be able to sing it to their significant other just to show them that they appreciate them.”

1. Dance The Night by Dua Lipa 

Of course, I had to include a song from the Barbie album. This song has a disco vibe and I love it! It perfectly encapsulates the energy of Barbie at the beginning of the movie. But this song alone takes my mind off of things and makes me feel happier. When interviewing Dua Lipa, SiriusXM asked her what is the story behind the song. “Initially we wrote the song but only to um kind of a dance rehearsal which I had seen the video…. so I had to make a song that then that fitted that moment but also was about to tell the story of the rest of the film.” 

Honorable mentions: 

Calm Down by Selena Gomez 

I love Selena Gomez’s songs and this song is no different. I can say for certainty that if you love slower songs that don’t feel very overwhelming, you will enjoy this song.

Die For You by The Weeknd and Ariana Grande 

I like this song because The Weeknd and Ariana Grade’s voices undoubtedly blend nicely together. 

I’m Good (Blue) by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha

This is truly a song that can be enjoyed by anyone and everybody. The only reason why this song is not in my top 5 is due to the radio overplaying it, but otherwise, it’s catchy and uplifting. 

Escapism by RAYE Featuring 070 Shake   

“Escapism” is exactly how it sounds. The song encapsulates bad and toxic relationships and the feeling of the effects that one can have from them. RAYE and 070 Shake accurately portray the eerie tone

These are my own opinions and if you agree with me, then congrats! You have good taste in music! If you haven’t heard of these songs, give them a listen! You might be surprised and enjoy them as much as I do.