74° Forest Hills, NY

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

THE BEACON

Checking in with The Seniors: Aspirations for the Future

From a fellow senior to another, happy April to the Class of 2023! After a tumultuous experience through COVID-19 and online learning, many students have transitioned back into regular school instruction. However, when it comes to our futures, life can appear to be a lot different than when we first started attending high school. As we get older, we discover a lot more about the world that makes it seem incomprehensible. With the advent of new technological advances, critical world events, and academic changes, to name just a few, it can be hard for us to control the chaotic elements of life. 

As graduation is only in two months, students have started thinking about where they will go, what their career paths will look like, and what life will mean to them as an adult. It’s definitely not easy to believe just how much is going to change in only a few months’ time. The Beacon checked in with our seniors through a survey that’ll give us the inside scoop of their minds with just a few months left of high school. The questionnaire had a series of questions about their current feelings, future plans (careers/professions), some advice they’d give, and any extra details they’d like to share.

A handful of students were surveyed, with the results ranging from feeling ready and thinking ahead, to being confused and unsure of where they’re going. These feelings and thoughts are acceptable to have – few people may consider themselves ready for the real world after high school, or even college. Students chose a variety of majors, ranging from Adolescent Education to Computer Science. Seniors are also growing to be adults; becoming an adult marks the beginning of many freedoms, but also leaves you with many responsibilities.

When it comes to the students’ plans for the future, many of them are preparing themselves for college. Some felt unsure, and wanted to wait until they felt ready. In the future, some students wanted to apply for jobs or internships. These results can prove that although most students were planning to attend college, college may not be the right choice for you in some cases. You may want to take a gap year to decide on what you want, enter trade school, or even enlist for the military if it appeals to you.

Our seniors shared some great pieces of advice. Let’s see what they have to say:

In order to have a better high school experience, you should consider going to social events at your school. For example, sports games, movie nights, spirit week, school trips, etc. Joining clubs will allow you to socialize, discover new interests, and it’s great to write on college applications.”

Try your hardest not to procrastinate, and start thinking about what you wanna do after high school because it really does come fast”

“Don’t stress too much! As someone that didn’t do well in my sophomore year — you’ll still end up where you’re meant [to] be.”

“Put yourself out there and make friends, there’s truly someone for everybody.”

After thinking about my entire high school experience, there are definitely a lot of things that I would choose to improve if I was able to go back in time. I would have tried to prepare myself for college earlier, feel more confident about my major, build better study habits, and make new friends. I felt lost during the coronavirus, yet I feel lucky that I got into the Carl Sagan STEM program and learned from many people and the courses within. I’ve had some time to reflect on my life and how to change things. After learning about economics and the college application process, it would have been helpful for me to have applied this knowledge much earlier. My plan is to go into college with a major in Computer Science, with low student loan debt.

Forest Hills High School has a large list of alumni that demonstrate the diversity of the student body, and we are sure to see more of the next generation continue to do their best in life, despite the circumstances. As for my own piece of advice, I’d suggest to do your best, but don’t push yourself too hard. It is invaluable to be able to get good at studying, but you should consider balancing your work and social life. At the end of the day, college is important, but I don’t believe that prestige entirely matters, as you can get an education almost anywhere you go. In some cases, it might not be possible to attend college in your life right now, but hopefully one day you will get the chance to receive a higher education.

Nothing is truly set in stone in life; it is up to you to determine your future. No matter what you’re going through, I hope you do your best in life. After all, life is what you make of it.